Feel free to experiment with the spices and fruits you use - cranberries and walnuts would be nice substitutions for the figs and almonds. Happy Baking!
½ cup unsweetened coconut
2 T flax seed meal
6 T hot water
½ cup whole wheat white flour
2 ½ cups rolled oats
½ t salt
1 t baking powder
2 t powdered ginger (or more)
¼ - ½ cup agave, depending on how sweet you like them
¼ cup coconut or sunflower oil
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup chopped dried figs
½ cup blanched almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Lightly toast the coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat
- Combine the ground flax and hot water in a small bowl and set aside to congeal
- Mix together dry ingredients (including coconut) in a medium bowl
- Measure and whisk together oil, agave, applesauce and flax mixture in a large measuring cup, then pour into dry ingredients and mix until incorporated
- Fold in figs
- Drop onto prepared baking sheets using a melon baller, small ice cream scoop, or a tablespoon and your index finger (my method).
- Press an almond (if using) into the center of each mound and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until edges are slightly browned.