Sugar's a beast with whom I have a serious love-hate relationship. Try as I might to date it casually, or break up with it completely, I always end up going back for more and getting in too deep. We have a few laughs, a few moments of pleasure, and then I get carried away, wake up in a pile of paraphernalia, puffy and groggy, feeling guilty and wondering how I ended up here again.
It's a new year. Time to clean out the cupboards.
I've done some poking around and while I can't find an exact number, the average American is consuming around 142 pounds of sugar per year. That means I could eat a personal sugar statue of myself and still have a couple of pounds to spare. What the what?
We all know that sugar is bad for us, so I'm going to resist the urge to detail it's evils here. Instead, I'd like to offer something more productive to make with it than no-bake cookies; the Get Rid of Your Sugar, Exfoliating Sugar Scrub.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup oil - sunflower, almond, olive, coconut, jojoba, or grape seed
1-2 T fresh coffee grounds
A few drops of your favorite essential oil
Vitamin E oil
Mix everything together and store in an airtight container. Still not convinced? Consider these benefits:
- All natural and chemical free - Your skin is the largest organ in (on?) your body. It's a good idea to only put things on it that you would put in your mouth.
- Exfoliating removes dead skin, unclogs pores, and increases circulation.
- Healthy oils nurture the skin, keeping it smooth and supple. Different oils have different benefits, but most of these contain antioxidants and are rich in vitamins and minerals .
- Safe to use on the face.
- It's cheap! A commercial 10 oz sugar scrub is usually between $10 and $30.
- Makes for a great gift; thoughtful, healthful, homemade, and personal.
- Better to rub sugar ON your a$$ than tack it on from the inside out, yes?