This recipe is inspired by a recipe in "Thrive" by Brenden Brazier. If you haven't picked it up yet, I strongly recommend it; this book is rocking my world. It's all about developing and enhancing greater health, mental clarity, and better sports performance. Brazier talks in depth about stress, cravings, and junk food consumption and is helping me to make some meaningful connections. He says that "Food cravings, usually for sugary or starchy foods, are often a telltale sign that the diet lacks nutrients or is tired...Appetite will diminish as the quality of food improves." As someone who regularly craves sugar and starch, and who often feels "low energy," this is wicked awesome news. You mean I'm not just weak willed? I have a tendency to reach for the bread and complex carbs when I want a snack. This wee piece of information, obvious though it may be, is helping me to snack on more nutrient dense foods. Gotta fuel up on the good stuff if you want to feel great. Enter Curry Quinoa Crackers. These crackers are loaded with nutrients, add nice texture to salads and spreads, and are gluten free.
These could be easily made with sprouted or cooked lentils instead of quinoa, I mainly used quinoa because I wanted to let you know, in case you didn't, that sprouting quinoa is a piece of cake. If you're new to sprouting, you can find basic instructions over at Sprouts and Civil Disobedience.
1/2 cup sprouted or cooked quinoa or lentils
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup ground sunflower seeds
1 medium carrot - chopped
4 T apple cider vinegar
2 T coconut oil
4 t curry powder
2 t cumin
S/P to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees - baking at a low temperature helps to keep the nutrients in tact.
- Process ingredients in a food processor. If you're like me and your food processor is broken, use a magic bullet to grind things up and then mix everything together in a medium bowl.
- Lightly oil a baking tray with coconut oil.
- Spread the mixture on the baking tray as thinly as possible and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool, break apart, and enjoy with all of your favourite dips and salads.