Bake these in the evening to accompany a simple soup or salad, then have them ready for breakfast on the go. They'd be great with a tofu scramble, or as part of a biscuit sandwich.
INGREDIENTS - Makes 8
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour*
1 cup oats
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 T coconut oil
1 cup plant milk
1 T apple cider vinegar
Egg replacer for 1 egg
1 T dijon or deli mustard
1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/3 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds (optional)
1/3 cup chopped fresh spinach
1 T fresh thyme (1 tsp dried)
* For gluten free, replace flours with: 1 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup arrowroot powder (or tapioca starch), and 1 tsp xanthan gum.
- Preheat the oven to 375 and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the coconut oil (olive oil would work too) and mix until evenly distributed.
- Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add wet to dry and stir just until combined. Fold in remaining ingredients and fresh cracked pepper if desired.
- Drop onto prepared baking sheet (I use a 1/3 cup measuring cup) and bake for 15 -18 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature and enjoy within 3 days.