These bars are guaranteed to make you dyno like a monkey, run like Scott Jurek, or jump through with straight legs. Guaranteed. Okay maybe not guaranteed. But they're tasty, energy packed, and easy to make.
Lots of vegans out there disagree with honey eating. I respect that. For the time being, I'm alright with it. As I see it today, bees still get to live out their lives doing what bees do (unlike animals who live in confinement facilities), and they aren't subjected to tortures like light deprivation and mutilation. If you don't do honey, try subbing maple syrup or agave.
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried, pitted dates
1/2 cup hot water
5 T honey
3/4 cup natural peanut butter
3 cups rolled oats (gluten free)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened, large flake coconut
1/2 cup hemp seeds (optional)
1 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Cover the raisins and dates with the hot water and set aside. Preferably in a magic bullet or blender.
- Measure dry ingredients into a medium bowl.
- Process the raisins, dates, and water into a chunky paste, then mix well with the peanut butter and honey.
- Pour the wet into the dry and mix until well combined.
- Press mixture into a 9X9 pan (or equivalent) that is lined with plastic, and press firmly (I use produce bags rather than saran wrap).
- Freeze until hard and then cut. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Makes about 16 bars.