I'm really loving buckwheat flour at the moment. I find it to be rich and satisfying, with more depth of flavour than regular old wheat flour. It also happens to be gluten free and high in protein. Bonus! These muffins are great because everyone can enjoy them - gluten free people, vegans, meat-eating bread munchers. They have a wide appeal. If you don't have a mini muffin tin, use a regular muffin tin or a loaf pan and increase the bake time accordingly.
INGREDIENTS - Yields 20 to 22 mini muffins
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup mashed banana
6 tbsp maple syrup
4 tbsp oil (melted coconut oil, canola...)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chopped nuts (walnuts and pecans are nice) and/or pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly oil a muffin tin.
- Whisk together the flour, spices, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Add the banana, syrup, oil, vanilla and nuts and mix well.
- Add the cider vinegar at the end (this will help the muffins to rise when it reacts with the baking soda).
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. About 10 - 14 minutes.
Tip: If you haven't filled all the wells in your muffin tin, add a tablespoon or two of water to each empty well to avoid scorching.